Chitika

Amazon

Mumsnet

mumsnet

Saturday 17 December 2016

Portobello mushroom and meatball broth

I get home from work at around 6.30pm which doesn't leave a lot of time to make a wholesome meal. I have recently begun making broths- a cross between a hearty full throttle meat-and-two-vegs and a light soup- using meat from my organic boxes delivered once per week. I love these boxes where you never know what you're going to get and you have to be as creative and in tune as possible in order to make nourishing sustenance out of them. Last week I created a lamb and spinach broth and this week: pork meatballs and portobello mushrooms.

The pork mince was so light that it moulded effortlessly into balls (never press or squeeze too hard or you'll end up with dead weights). A pinch of thyme, salt and pepper and the key ingredient, HOT paprika and a gentle rounding between my hands. I browned these meatballs in butter and olive oil over a high heat then set them aside. Next I added finely chopped onions to the pan which I caramelised over a medium heat. A chopped clove of garlic, chopped carrots and then the finely sliced mushrooms. I deglazed with white wine - dry not sweet- and returned the browned meatballs to the pan, adding enough water to barely cover them. Check for seasoning and then simmer uncovered for thirty minutes. The mushrooms make the densest, most robust of stocks pairing perfectly with the sweet pork. Dress this dish up with herb dumplings or simply sprinkle some greenery over the top. Hearty winter food in preparation of a good night's sleep before I start all over again.

Photo copyright SvD.

No comments:

Post a Comment