Chitika

Amazon

Mumsnet

mumsnet

Monday 22 July 2013

Things I saw in the woods today, part 37

This feather is from a bird with spotted feathers - 'very astute', I hear you say! I have no idea what the bird is, having not seen one before but I hope you will enjoy its spots - the dalmation of the wild poultry world. As a note: I never move or displace any object I photograph. Everything I photograph is as I find it. This feather was on the ground in the woods, about to be trampled on.

The heat was pretty unbearable today: 34 degrees C and too much for me and the hound. We stuck to the woods where mercifully, the shade provided some respite from the boiling hot sun. The dappled sunlight in the woods, today, on the hottest day of the year - see below:

  

And as night follows day, here is the fullest, brightest moon in tonight's sky.


Rose bushes occasionally send out these weird-looking spiky appendices. They don't appear often but I find them rather fun and fluffy- totally opposite in appearance to the sultry, elegant rose.


And finally: after a hard day's work, I was delighted to spend the evening with my good friends Barbara and Robyn, both keen gardeners. All of the food on this plate - our supper-  was grown by them in their garden (apart from the salmon). It's been a great year for vegetables- hot days and warm nights - the perfect combination to ward off slugs and pests who thrive in damp, chilly conditions.

And of course we raised a glass to the royal baby as we ate our supper. The church bells pealed loudly at 8.50pm when the news finally broke of the royal birth.

Photos copyright SvD.

No comments:

Post a Comment