Chitika

Amazon

Mumsnet

mumsnet

Sunday 12 May 2013

Things I saw in the woods today, part 12

The Yellow Archangel, so named because superstition has it that fairies dislike the colour yellow and rarely frequent places where flowers of that colour grow. Legend also has it that the name 'archangel' is given to this flower because it blooms on St. Michael's Day.

Photo copyright SvD.

A misplaced bird's nest, toppled from a tree. When I was little, I believed that 'bird's nest soup' was made from real nests. I used to hate the thought of depriving some poor birdie of a home so I could eat it! How silly I was! I do miss that naivete, that innocence though.

This could very well be the nest of a crow or raven, carion-eating birds- rarely have I seen a nest without leaves, grasses, hay or fine twigs. The size of the twigs suggests a larger bird - perhaps though I am wrong.


Photo copyright SvD.

No comments:

Post a Comment