Chitika

Amazon

Mumsnet

mumsnet

Wednesday 15 May 2013

Something to do with a can of fish

I love to cook because I love to eat. I would describe myself as a 'bon vivant'. Life is a glorious festival of craziness, happiness and tragedy, speckled with moments of eating. My friends know that my home is a place where they must remove their shoes and be prepared to be themselves whilst eating copious amounts of home-cooked food. I do not have a TV in my house so I would be loathe to tell you which celebrity chef I worship. Suffice it to say that I read old French, English, Jewish and even Roman cookbooks and my love of nature guides me.

However there are times when I prefer to eat a can of fish and some vegetables. This recipe is economical and truly easy to prepare. My supper last night:

Fishcakes

Peel and finely chop an onion. Saute the onion in olive oil until softened and slightly browned.

Add one can of wild Atlantic salmon to the following in a mixing bowl:

The sauteed onion
Handful finely chopped coriander and parsley (or chives or whatever is floating around in the nether regions of the fridge)
Half the weight of the salmon in breadcrumbs
One egg
Pinch salt and pepper

Mix well until all the ingredients are incorporated but the fish is still in small chunks. Shape into quenelles using two spoons- this means that all the patties will be the same size. Flatten into rounds not more than 1 inch thick. Lay the patties on a tray and place in the fridge for around 30 minutes (or in the freezer for 15).

Heat vegetable oil in a frying pan until quite hot but not smoking. I usually drop a few chilli flakes in the oil and if they sizzle madly the oil is hot enough.

Dredge the patties in flour and shake off any excess. Drop in the oil and fry until golden brown - 2-3 minutes. Turn the patties over once only to brown the other side.

Serve the patties hot with chips (and mayonnaise!!!).


Raw fishcakes
Cooked fishcakes
Photos copyright SvD.

No comments:

Post a Comment