Chitika

Amazon

Mumsnet

mumsnet

Friday 18 January 2013

Slow cooking

I'm a real advocate of slow cooking. I work from home so cooking and eating have to be practical. I  throw a few things together and leave them to simmer forever and voila! a few hours later, the house is filled with a rich smell that tells me the dish is ready.

This economical dish is French in origin and devised by a farmer's wife. Sausages, potatoes and onions are cooked very slowly with whole cloves of garlic, thyme and white wine. A piece of wax paper (or parchment paper) is placed over the pan and water is poured onto it. The lid of the pan in placed on top and the dish is left cook for around two hours either in the oven or hob but in both cases on the lowest heat. The result is meltingly soft vegetables and the sausages are lifted into a higher realm.

Cheap and easy and delicious. Right up my alley.


Photo copyright SvD.

No comments:

Post a Comment